Here is an excellent one-pot dish from Jenni Fleetwood’s book One-pot, Slow-pot and Clay-pot Cooking. This pot-roasted chicken is French-country cuisine at its best: the flavors literally jump off the plate with an abundance of garlic and lemon, plus lardons or bacon, and cannellini beans.
The beauty of this rustic composition is that despite the generous amount of garlic and lemon, neither dominates. The assertive smoky bacon and a leisurely sojourn in the oven see to that. The pot roasting process serves to moisten and infuse both the chicken and the cannellini beans with all the luscious additions.
Yes, it is a feast to behold. With thickly sliced artisan bread to mop up the juices, it is simple, sumptuous, and stylish.
Pot Roasted Chicken with Lemon and Garlic
Inspired by One-pot, Slow-pot and Clay-pot Cooking by Jenni Fleetwood
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup bacon, chopped
8 garlic cloves, peeled, whole
2 onions, cut 1/8’s
2 tsp all purpose flour
2 cups chicken stock
2 lemons, washed and thick sliced
3 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
3 lb. chicken, rinsed and patted dry
Salt and pepper to taste
2 – 14 oz. cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a heavy oven and stove proof casserole large enough to generously hold the chicken, coat the bottom with oil and add the bacon; cook until lightly browned and remove from pot to drain on toweling.
- Pour off any excess fat, leaving enough to coat the bottom of the pan, and add the onions and garlic to brown over medium high heat. Stir in the flour and then the stock. Return the bacon to the pot with the lemon and thyme. Bring to a boil stirring until thickened. Place the chicken on top and season well.
- Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour. Baste twice with pot liquid.
- Baste the chicken again. Gently stir in the cannellini beans to surround the chicken. If the chicken is not browning, leave the lid off and continue to bake an additional 30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and it is tender.
- Carve the chicken into thick slices and serve with the beans. Serves 4.