This weekend we have finally been able to string a few warm days together. It’s a welcome reminder that summer is on the way and flats of fresh strawberries are just around the corner.
One of my favorite ways to show off the season’s best berries is with Polenta Orange Cake, a low squat European-style beauty imbued with a slight crunchy-sweet corn essence. The orange zest and polenta join together in a burnished gold crumb dense enough to welcome a good soaking of orange syrup or juicy berries.
For strawberries and cream cake, slice the cake in half torte style, fill it with sliced strawberries, and spoon on whipped cream. Or, for my favorite ricotta cream, cut the whipped cream with half ricotta. It’s a natural wonder.
Polenta Orange Cake
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup medium to fine-grained cornmeal or polenta
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 orange, zest and @ 1/3 cup juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup orange juice
1 orange, cut in half
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a 9″ cake pan with parchment or foil and spray with baker’s spray.
- Combine the dry ingredients and set aside. In a mixing bowl, cream butter until light, slowly add the sugar and beat until light. Add the eggs one at a time, until fluffy. Add the vanilla, orange juice, the zest and mix. Don’t worry if it curdles. Add dry ingredients, mixing just to incorporate. Scrape bowl down and spread the batter evenly into pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until cake springs back when touched. Remove from oven and brush liberally with orange syrup while still warm.
- For the Syrup: place all but extract in a small saucepan and bring to a boil; continue to boil briskly for 6 to 8 minutes, until it begins to thicken. Let cool slightly, remove orange and strain. Add the almond extract and brush over the warm cake.
Strawberries and Cream Cake
4 cups strawberries, rinsed, hulled, sliced (save a few for garnish)
2 tablespoons sugar
Sweetened Whipped Cream topping
1 cup whipping cream
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Prepare strawberries and cream: combine the berries with sugar and chill; save a few pretty whole ones for garnish. Whip the cream, add the sugar and vanilla.
- To assemble: slice the cake in half horizontally, brush the bottom layer with orange syrup, layer with some of the sliced berries, spread with whipped cream. Add the top layer, top with more berries and garnish with whipped cream and few pretty berries. Serves 6 or more. The cake can be baked a day ahead.