When it comes to food, I’m always in search of something new and interesting. This isn’t exactly new, but it is interesting.
It’s a very cool homemade cookie that requires only four ingredients—and very little time or effort.
Faster than it takes to preheat the oven, I had the aroma of freshly baked peanut butter cookies wafting magically from the kitchen. A mere wave of the wrist resulted in crisp, slightly chewy cookies with perfectly balanced peanut-buttery sweetness.
Well, there is one small catch.
Peanut Butter Cookies, Fast
Inspired by a popular cookie originally in Gourmet magazine, reprinted in Gourmet’s Five Ingredients by Gourmet Magazine Editors.
1 cup peanut butter, either creamy or chunky
¾ cup sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a baking sheet with cooking oil or line with silpat.
- In a medium-small mixing bowl, with a spoon beat peanut butter and sugar to combine; then beat in egg and baking soda.
- With hands, roll rounded teaspoons of dough into balls and arrange about 1” apart on baking sheets. Flatten balls with tines of fork to about 1-1/2” diameter, making a crosshatch pattern.
- Bake in batches about 10 minutes, until puffed and golden brown.
- Cool cookies on baking sheet for 2 minutes to set, then transfer with spatula to rack to cool completely. These will keep 5 days stored airtight at room temperature. Yield: 2 dozen approximate.