Here’s a cheap thrill to remember when the snack shelf is bare and you are in deep need of a little personal indulgence. There’s nothing like your own rich, warm, gooey chocolate chip cookie, à la minute, for a boost of comfort and happiness.
That’s right, it’s another microwave steal. Grab an oven proof cup, mix up a few basic staples (of course, that would include chocolate chips), and pop it into the microwave for maybe a minute.
The trick here is in not over baking. After about 45 seconds the batter will look bubbly and raised, but certainly not set and firm. No matter. Take it out, let it rest for 5 minutes, and it will solidify into the familiar cookie we all love.
A Warm Chocolate Chip Cookie
Inspired by One Bowl Baking, Yvonne Ruperti
1 tablespoon softened butter
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons water
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
Pinch baking soda
1 tablespoon bittersweet chocolate chips
- Spread a dab of butter on the bottom and sides of an oven proof cup or mug.
- Place the brown sugar, butter, salt, water and vanilla in mug and give it a good stir.
- Add the flour, baking soda and chocolate chips and stir until just combined. Press the dough evenly into the bottom of the cup.
- Microwave on high, just until the dough puffs, bubbles form, and it doesn’t look wet—about 45 seconds, depending on oven.
- Remove from the microwave and let rest for 5 minutes, until set. Enjoy while warm. Yield: 1 serving.