My thoughts automatically turn to my new Instant Pot these days. Often it is to re-visit old favorites like stuffed cabbage rolls, and tinker with how to best incorporate them into my new cooking repertoire.
This stuffed cabbage recipe was shared many years ago by a good Polish friend, who received it from his mother. Since he was not a cook, he was so appreciative when I would prepare his beloved Goblaki, it was always reason for a party.
When the mood strikes, I still make stuffed cabbage rolls for their homey, sweet/sour qualities. They are even better reheated the next day. There are a few steps, but none are complicated. I actually find the repetition of filling and shaping the rolls very relaxing—I like to think of it as a form of meditation.
Here, the slow cooker steps in to deliver all the classic aromas and flavors and cooks in about the same oven time. There is little mess. The blanching of the leaves is done in the same cooking pot. My current version cuts back on the ground beef and contains part turkey, which doesn’t seem to make a difference in overall taste.
Enjoy the rolls with Barley-Mushroom Risotto, a perfect companion. Here’s to you, Joe!
Stuffed Cabbage Rolls, aka Golabki
1 large head cabbage
3/4 pound ground beef
3/4 pound ground turkey
1/3 cup raw converted rice
1/2 cup onion, dice
1/2 cup celery, dice
1 clove garlic, crush
1 teaspoon salt, to taste
1/2 teaspoon pepper, to taste
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon dried dill, plus more for the pot
salt and red pepper flakes, to taste
1 tablespoons brown sugar, approximate
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/3 cup raisins (optional)
- To blanch the cabbage leaves: gently separate the cabbage leaves and rinse well. Layer leaves in pressure cooker. Set pressure element to Low, and steam the leaves for 1 minute with fast release. Carefully remove and place in an ice water bath to stop the cooking. Drain on toweling and set aside.
- Place a few unusable leaves in the bottom of the pot, add a bit of available sliced onion, add a light sprinkling of dill, salt and pepper.
- To make cabbage rolls: combine filling items. Place a heaping tablespoonful of stuffing at largest end of leaf, roll and fold sides in. Repeat.
- For assembly: combine sauce ingredients and spoon 1/3 of the sauce into bottom of pot. Place a layer of rolls close together, seam side down, into the pot. Top with another 1/3 of sauce. Add another layer of rolls and finish with remaining sauce.
- Set slow cooker to Medium setting for approximately 2-1/2 hours. Note: begin on medium setting, cook for 1-1/2 hours. and check. If not simmering at this point, increase to High for the additional hour. Can also be cooked on Low setting for 6 hours or longer. Yield: about 12 rolls.