We’ve talked about peanut butter before. There are times when nothing is more satisfying than creamy, rich peanut butter—with a spoon, right out of the jar. The next time that impulse strikes, you might want to consider a slightly more civilized approach.
Here’s an opportunity to have an easy peanut butter fix in cookie form. These seductive thumbprint cookies are tailor-made with five basic ingredients, and they bake in ten minutes. If you can recruit any tiny hands, their simple shaping contribution will make everyone happy.
The thumbprint variation allows for the option of quickly filling the little center imprint with whatever pleases you: jelly, jam, Nutella, dulce de leche, or perhaps marshmallow crème.
Roll the cookies in granulated or brown turbinado sugar before baking for an extra sparkly touch. When cookies are set, remove them from the oven and fill the center of each with the product of your choice. Briefly return the cookies to the oven to finish baking and set the filling.
Beware. Do not be tempted to eat these standing up, directly from the pan. Let the hot cookies rest briefly in their pan to firm up and then cool on a wire rack. You will avert scorching any hovering open mouths.
Peanut Butter Thumbprint Cookies
1 cup peanut butter, either creamy or chunky
1 cup sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ cup granulated or turbinado sugar (optional, for rolling)
Filling of choice: berry jam, grape jelly, Nutella, dulce de leche, or marshmallow crème
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray a baking sheet with baker’s spray or line with parchment or silpat.
- In a medium bowl stir the peanut butter and sugar together with a spoon. Add the beaten egg and baking soda and stir to evenly combined.
- Using a teaspoon, shape rounded spoonfuls of dough into balls. Roll in sugar, if desired. Set on the baking sheet about 1” apart. With a water moistened thumb, press down in center about ½” to make a well.
- Bake for 7 minutes until puffed. Using back of small spoon, press the thumbprint down again and fill with jam or other filling. Return to oven and bake another 3 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool a couple of minutes and remove with spatula to cooling rack. To store, layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper. Store airtight for up to a week. Yield: approximately 24 cookies.