If it’s Friday, it must be Pizza — and I’ve got fennel on my mind.
Today’s pizza showcases a tempting combination of flavors and textures that covers all the bases. We’ve got creamy ricotta, fabulous fresh anise-scented fennel, slices of spicy sausage, and more.
This easy pizza begins with a mild ricotta base designed to complement fennel’s sweet and subtle flavors. Any firm precooked sausage will work, but I’m particularly fond of linguica — or perhaps an Italian or Portuguese style laced with a hit of fennel or anise seed, garlic, and red pepper.
It’s not too late to latch onto fresh fennel before it goes out of season. Its bulb is the most tender and mild part; to easily slice it, first cut the bulb into quarter wedges and remove any lurking hard center core. Save those tougher stalks and shoots for use in soups, stews and other cooking projects.
If you are as crazy as I am about fennel’s mild licorice flavor, sprinkle some of the feathery fronds across the pizza before popping it into the oven.
Remember to remove your smartly prebaked pizza crust (see here) from the freezer for a quick defrost before launching into pizza mode. If not, have one medium pizza crust ready for topping. It’s that easy and that good!
White Pizza with Fresh Fennel and Sausage
- 1 medium prebaked pizza crust or 1 recipe pizza dough
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Ricotta filling:
- 1 cup ricotta cheese, good quality
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- ½ onion, sliced
- 1 cup chopped seeded pepper, pasilla, or other
- 1 cup fennel, thinly sliced
- ½ cup sliced olives, optional
- 8 oz. sliced fennel-flavored cooked sausage
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. fresh or dried rosemary or oregano
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- In a medium pizza pan, roll out the pizza dough and prebake, or have prebaked pizza on hand. (see pizza crust).
- Preheat oven to 375° to 400° F.
- Prepare the ricotta filling: if the ricotta is watery, drain it well. Season with Parmesan, garlic, nutmeg, salt and pepper and fold in freshly chopped parsley. This can be done ahead.
- Toppings: thinly slice the onion, fennel, olives and precooked sausage.
- To assemble: lightly brush the crust with olive oil. Spread the ricotta filling evenly over the crust. Distribute the onion, pepper, fennel and olives over the ricotta and top with the sausage. Season to taste with red pepper flakes, rosemary or oregano, and sprinkle the Parmesan and fresh fennel fronts on top. Drizzle a little olive oil across the top.
- Bake until the center is bubbly and the crust is browned, 15-20 minutes. Let stand briefly, then slice. Yield: 1 medium pizza.