This hearty chicken dish is the definition of flexibility—and the ideal solution for an easy dinner with friends.
Our Chicken Ragout features plump chicken pieces simmered in a rustic tomato sauce that is enriched with mushrooms, rosemary, sweet carrots, and other vegetables.
We have options with this dish: it can be prepped and cooked in various stages for enjoyment right away or set aside until later. If you chose to make it ahead, know that these big flavors will mellow and improve as the ragout waits for you.
The preparation is straight forward, brown the chicken off then use the pan drippings to flavor the basic tomato sauce. Let the chicken simmer in the sauce until tender. When it’s convenient, separately roast the mushrooms, onion, pepper, rosemary, and carrots in a hot oven to precook and bring out their inherent sweetness, and set aside until needed.
The dish can all be assembled for enjoyment later the same day, or refrigerate the components and bring out when ready to serve. Reheat the chicken in tomato sauce, add the roasted vegetables, and simmer briefly. The ragout should retain its distinct freshness, yet blend the robust flavors into one dynamic package.
Serve the ragout with Creamy Polenta or a pasta of your choice to round out the rustic tomato sauce that develops.
Chicken Ragout with Roasted Hearty Vegetables
3½ pound chicken, cut into portions, or equivalent pieces
½ salt & red pepper flakes
1 tsp fresh or ½ tsp dried sage or herbes de Provence
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, mash & sliver
1 tsp dried rosemary
1½ cups chicken stock
14½ ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
2 Tbsp tomato paste
Roasted Hearty Vegetables (follows)
- Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper, and sage.
- In a large pot or in a multi-cooker set to Hi Sauté, heat 2 Tbsp. oil, add chicken and sauté until golden brown, about 6 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to bowl.
- Lower heat to Medium Sauté, add garlic and rosemary and briefly sauté. Deglaze with a ½ cup stock, scraping up browned bits, about 1 minute. Stir in canned tomatoes with juice and tomato paste, remaining broth, and bring to a boil. Drop heat to Low Sauté and simmer 5-10 minutes to blend flavors.
- Add the chicken and any juices to sauce and simmer covered over low heat for 20 minutes, or set multi-cooker to HI Pressure for 10 minutes using 10 minutes natural release. Can be cooled and chilled overnight at this point.
- Skim off excess fat, add the roasted vegetables to heated chicken and simmer 10-15 minutes longer. Adjust seasoning. Serve with Creamy Polenta, sprinkle with drained capers or fresh basil. Serves 4
Roasted Hearty Vegetables Using 1 Tbsp olive oil, 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ tsp red pepper flakes, 1 tsp fennel seed. 1 small onion in wedges, 2 medium carrots cut up, 1 cup crimini mushrooms halved, 1 green pepper cut.
- Heat oven to 425-450°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment or non-stick foil.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oil, through fennel seeds.
- Place the vegetables as cut up into the bowl. Toss with the seasoned oil to coat.
- Arrange the vegetables evenly on the pan. Roast for 20 minutes, until tender-crisp. Stir after the first 10 minutes. Turn off heat and let stand in oven with residual heat for 10 minutes.