If you like playing with your food, here is one entertaining cookie. I’ve made them several times now and find them totally irresistible, both to eat and to make. Similar to a sand cookie, these pale small batch bites have a light flavor and texture—and yes, they visually resemble fresh mushrooms.
This version is inspired by Turkish Mushroom Cookies found at the resourceful blog, My Excellent Degustations. This past spring I liked including a few as a charming surprise tucked amid a basket of assorted cookies.
The dough mixes up easily into a soft pliable dough. There is a simple trick to forming their quirky mushroom shape—one that kids of all ages can pull off.
First, locate a small glass beverage bottle with a screw top. Dip the bottle rim into water, then in cocoa powder, and gently punch into the center of a small round of dough. Remove the bottle and you will have created a freshly harvested mushroom, stem and all.
That’s it! These are best when kept to under a 1” sized round as they will spread; a batch should yield 18 cookies. They hold very well when stored airtight.
Mushroom Cookies, Small Batch
¾ cup AP flour + 2 Tbsp
¼ cup + 3 Tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp baking powder
¼ cup + 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
⅓ cup granulated sugar
1 egg, room temperature, lightly beaten
1½ tsp vanilla
½ cup water
1 Tbsp cocoa
Tools/Props: 1 small screw topped glass beverage bottle
1. Sift flour, cornstarch, and baking powder and set aside.
2. Cream the butter and beat in the sugar until light, then the egg.
3. Mix in half the dry ingredients; then mix in the vanilla. Add the remaining dry. It should form a soft smooth dough. If sticky chill for 20
4. Line 1-2 baking sheets with parchment. Preheat oven to 350°F. Roll dough into 1” rounds, using rounded teaspoon, and set 1-2” apart; these will
5. Place water and cocoa in 2 small bowls. Dip the rim of bottle in water and then in cocoa. Press the rim into each round to form the stem and mark
it with cocoa/dirt. Repeat with all. Wipe the bottle top to form clean bond between cookies.
6. Bake 14-18 minutes, until set but not colored. Cool on rack. Makes 18 cookies.