As a follow up to the previous Small Batch, One Bowl, today’s post further down-sizes.
Think of this small personal cake the next time the need hits for a minimal-mess-quick-fix. You can’t go wrong with the satisfying combination of sweet ripe banana and quick hearty oats. If time permits finish it with a honey-oat topping.
Simply mix all the ingredients in a microwaveable mug and pop it into a microwave oven for 1½ minutes. It’s just that easy.
But wait! If you haven’t used the microwave for baking before, there are a few things to keep in mind. In small scale baking such as this, details matter and every second counts.
- The microwave draws moisture out of food.
With our small cake, the size and ripeness of the banana become a key factor. To lighten the cake and provide additional liquid, use either one beaten egg white or 1 egg yolk plus 1-2 teaspoons liquid. When all ingredients have been combined, if the batter is quite heavy adjust by adding a dash at a time of additional liquid to reach a thick cake-like batter.
- For the optional honey-oat topping Old fashioned oats provide an interesting nut-like quality. Because they are very dry, a bit of milk or water added to the oats will help to moisturize them before adding the honey. (The honey will soak into the dry oats and become a sticky mess without moisturizing the oats first.)
- For the cake to rise evenly, turn the cup once half way through baking.
It is cooked when the cake begins to shrink away from the edges of the mug.
- When done, let the cake rest for 5 minutes.
The cake will continue to cook and release moisture.
- Unmold by running a knife around the edge of the cake.
If pretty is important, dress it up with a dusting of confectioners’ sugar, a dollop of whipped cream, or a drizzle of warmed local honey.
For breakfast, snacking, or individual dessert.
Banana Oat Mug Cake with Honey-Oat Topping
Inspired by Quaker Oats Banana Oat Mug Cake
- 2 ½ tablespoons quick oats
- 2 tablespoons AP flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar, packed
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ ripe banana, well mashed
- 1 egg white lightly beaten; or 1 egg yolk + 2 tsp milk, water or other liquid, lightly beaten
- 1½ teaspoons old fashioned oats moistened with 1 tsp milk or other liquid
- 1 teaspoon honey, agave or syrup
- Pinch each cinnamon and salt
- In microwaveable mug, blend together oats, flour, baking powder, sugar and nutmeg.
- Add the banana and egg white or egg yolk mixture and combine evenly to form a batter. If quite thick, thin with a dash of milk or water. Scrape bottom and sides with a spatula.
- Combine the topping mixture and distribute over the top.
- Microwave on HIGH 80 to 90 seconds until risen and just firm to the touch. Half way through, stop and rotate the mug. Let stand 3 to 5 minutes to further cook and set up before serving. Yield: 1 serving