I have been thinking about them for a while now. It’s not that they are complicated or require a lot of effort to make, I just need to be in the right mood. I suspect I connect them with summer because today we got our first blast of heat, and when it approached the mid 90’s I started rummaging around.
Well, of course I found them! I had everything needed and proceeded to set up the pressure cooker. Hot or not.
Yes, you know what I’m talking about. It’s the crazy green Le Puy lentils that I’m always ranting over. True characters, those little powerhouses of potassium, iron, and magnesium… with peppery flavor and a firm texture that doesn’t turn to mush.
Earlier, I was in the mood for a soup, but this heat called for something lighter and I waffled toward a salad of some sort.
That was the answer: an easy lentil soup dotted with vegetables and fresh herbs. This soup is so good, it can be eaten hot, warm, or cold and with the help of the pressure cooker I figured I’d be done in about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, I checked on the radish supply, and mine were huge! This would require Pink Himalayan salt. Today’s salad would be an arugula blend laced with more fresh herbs from the garden.
I’d keep it simple with a perky drizzle of white wine vinaigrette and crumbled blue cheese scattered about. Soup and salad in a bowl.
By the time I was hungry, the soup had cooled to warm… and that is the way it was: filling, flavorful and toooootally satisfying.
Le Puy Lentil Soup with Herb Salad
- 1 cups dried Le Puy lentils, rinsed
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, small chop
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp mixed dried herbs (Herbes de Provence or thyme, rosemary, sage)
- 1 carrot, chop
- 1 stalk celery, small chop
- 2 tomatoes, seed and chop
- 3 cups beef stock or 2 cups stock plus 1 cup water
- Salt and pepper, fresh ground
- Fresh herbs: 1/3 cup fresh herbs: parsley, thyme, rosemary, savory, dill, any
- 3 oz blue cheese, crumbled
- 2-4 ounces mesclun blend with arugula
- 1/3 cup fresh herbs: parsley, thyme, rosemary, savory, dill, any
- White Wine Vinaigrette:
- 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp fresh herbs, chop
- salt and pepper, fresh ground
- 5 Tbsp olive oil
- In multi-cooker/pressure cooker set to Medium Saute, heat olive oil. Add the shallot and cook briefly, then the garlic. Once aromatic, add the herbs and stir to combine. Then the carrot, celery, and tomatoes, toss to combine.
- Add the stock, the lentils and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Cover, lock lid, set to HI Pressure for 5 minutes. When complete, turn off and disconnect PC. Carefully release pressure and open lid. Adjust seasoning. Serve hot, warm, or chilled.
- Prepare the vinaigrette and adjust seasonings.
- When ready to serve soup, stir in the fresh herbs. Ladle into soup bowls, top with mixed greens, drizzle with vinaigrette, and sprinkle with fresh herbs and crumbled blue cheese. Serves 4